Wednesday, June 11, 2014

For goodness sake, vote tomorrow

I just got back from having lunch with a good friend. She told me she wasn't voting tomorrow. And neither was her husband. I was appalled.

Canada is one of the wealthiest, most beautiful, terrific countries in the world (except of course, for our horrific, evil, any time any reason abortion law).

But we do have full democratic rights that some people in this country actually choose not to practice. It's called voting in elections.

In May I visited Poland. Where I toured Auschwitz. Where millions of people had no rights. Where people were treated worse than animals and slaughtered. Because of an evil and corrupt political regime. That people voted into power.

Here we are in Canada and some of us choose not to vote in our elections. This is beyond comprehension. Last election Ontario had a pathetic voter turn out rate of 48%. I think that is disgusting that half of grownups in Ontario can be so apathetic that they didn't bother to vote. They can't be grownups.

In my opinion, if you don't vote, then you don't get to complain. Don't come crying to me and tell me that you don't like the Liberals. Or you think Kathleen Wynne and Tim Hudak are both wieners. Or that you don't vote because they're all crooks. Or they're slimy. Or you don't trust them.

If you don't vote you have no right to say any of these things. If you don't vote you should be ashamed of yourself.

If you do vote, you can say all these things and I'll listen to you. Otherwise I'll block my ears and say "lalala I can't hear you".

So whatever you do or don't do tomorrow, for heaven's sake, go out and vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment