Saturday, December 29, 2012

A cheat sheet for letter's editors to keep readers

By far the best newspaper letter's page in the country, is the one headed up by Paul Russell at the National Post.

Today Mr. Russell publishes his cheat sheet for having your letter to the editor published. This is a comprehensive "writing letters" primer that will help anyone get their letter published.

Mr. Russell always publishes letters on both sides of any debate, including the abortion debate. The other national newspaper (and this may have changed since I stopped either subscribing to, or reading that other newspaper, but I doubt it) barely ever ran any pro-life letters, mine included. So I have no idea where Mr. Russell stands on the abortion debate. In my opinion that is as it should be. His bias whatever it is, doesn't seep into what he is willing to publish or not publish.

And since we can't have the abortion debate in Parliament because of Mr. Harper's national ban on abortion free speech, well all I can say is, thank God for the National Post.

Mr. Russell also regularly invites readers to submit 75 words on various subjects. He actually wants to know what people think. Imagine that.

Other newspapers could learn a thing or two by reading the Post's letters page. Not that they will. But they could. If you know what I mean.

My mother always told me to give credit where credit was due. Thank you Paul Russell.

No comments:

Post a Comment