Saturday, July 14, 2012

Defending the most vulnerable

In this article written by Jeff Turnbull, past president of the Canadian Medical Association, Canada defends the most vulnerable, Dr. Turnbull talks about the plight of the homeless in Canada. Good and honourable and I agree with Dr. Turnbull.

I wonder if Dr. Turnbull considers preborn citizens as being part of Canada's most vulnerable? Because the parallel is striking.

Dr. Turnbull says about the homeless: “The poor pay for their poverty with their health.” The preborn pay for their inconvenience with their life.

He says that “...our most vulnerable citizens experience health outcomes that are often worse than those where I have worked in the developing world. I don’t believe this is the legacy my generation wants to leave for our children.”

In Canada, our most vulnerable preborn citizens experience health outcomes that include being ripped apart in their mother’s wombs, an outcome worse than those in the developing world and the first world.

Then Dr. Turnbull says this, “Rather, we must stand up and be remembered for how we as a society...embraced the vulnerable, the disabled and the mentally ill as our own...and for how we insisted that health and justice be meted out fairly, independent of income and postal code.”

I say, as a society we will be remembered for ignoring the continued and unabated destruction of our vulnerable preborn children, some of whom were aborted because they were disabled, or simply unexpected. There is neither health nor justice for aborted persons.

Dr. Turnbull says, “I reject the argument that economic prosperity is the sole prerequisite for strong social programs. The immense economic growth that Canada has enjoyed over the years has not been translated to the most disadvantaged around us, nor equally distributed throughout the country. Yet a more equitable society is more secure, more united and economically stronger. Compassion, equity and fairness not only make for good social policy, but are a long-term fiscal imperative.”

Well I reject the argument that women’s rights be the sole prerequisite for the social program that is fully funded legal abortion during all nine months of pregnancy. Canada’s economic growth has translated into more tax dollars than ever before paying for our most disadvantaged and vulnerable being aborted. A more equitable society would be more secure, more united and economically stronger when all its citizens are finally granted the right to life. Compassion, equity and fairness to the preborn not only makes for good social policy, but also good fiscal policy with an increased workforce of some 100,000 each year.

Dr. Turnbull tells us that, “Simply put, the poor pay for their poverty with their health.”

I counter with, the preborn pay for “choice” with their life.

Dr. Turnbull feels that “Fundamental change can only take place when individuals and organizations representing large sectors of our society set out expectations for our elected officials and hold them accountable for meeting them.”

I would like to see fundamental change for preborn citizens. And it can only take place when individuals and organizations speak out for them to our elected officials and hold them accountable for finally granting them legal protection.

Dr. Turnbull talks about leaving a legacy. “As I reflect on the legacy that we will leave to future generations, I realize that my good fortune is a product of the vision and sacrifice of those who came before. It was their legacy to us. I can only hope that we, as the current custodians of our collective identity, have the vision, courage and leadership to make those who will follow us proud of our enduring legacy to them.”

As I reflect on the legacy I would like to leave to future generations, I realize that my good fortune is a product of the fact that I was born at all and that I am actually able to write these words today. I can only hope that we, as the custodians of all children, have the vision, courage and leadership to allow these children yet to be born, to be allowed any legacy at all.

I don't know where Dr. Turnbull stands on the topic of abortion. But all of our vulnerable citizens, those born and those not yet born, are equally worthy of our protection, care and compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment