Sunday, May 16, 2010

What would the Martians think? (Part 3...Translating Dr. Henry Morgentaler)

The next speaker at the 20th Anniversary of Regina v. Morgentaler Of What Difference? Reflections on the Judgment and Abortion in Canada Today. was Dr. Henry Morgentaler:
"In 1988 the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that women have the right to make choices concerning their own reproductive health. I am proud to have played such a pivotal role in that decision. "

The tragedy of these kind of euphemistic statements is they don't really tell us what the person is actually saying. To our Martian friend listening, she would have been confused. I will translate the meaning of these statements for her:
"In 1988 the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that our existing abortion law had some problems with it, so our Justices struck the law down. This meant that from now on, there would be no abortion law in Canada. If a woman now chose to get rid of the human fetus in her womb, there is nothing that can be done to stop her from doing this. Therefore a woman can freely choose to allow her doctor to take the life of her unborn child and dispose of its remains. I am proud to have played such a pivotal role in that decision. "

Then Dr. Morgentaler says:
"I also believe that the world is a kinder, gentler place for women in Canada because they do have the right to make choices."

Translation:
I can't translate this. I tried. I can't figure out how a woman depriving her unborn child of its existance will make our world a kinder gentler place for her. And it will not be a kinder gentler place for her child as her child will now be dead.

Dr. Morgentaler says next:
"Over the years, I have developed a near perfect surgical procedure."

Translation:
"Over the years I have removed many many unborn children from the wombs of their mothers. Because of this extensive experience in aborting these fetuses, I have become very adept at doing it with precision."

Next he says:
"I believe that the documented decrease in crime today is directly related to the fact that women can now make choices concerning their own reproductive health. I believe that our society is a better society today than it was thirty years ago."

Translation:
"I believe that the documented decrease in crime today is directly related to the fact that women can now choose to rid themselves of her unborn child. There is no way that I can actually relate these two occurrences because I have no way of knowing how many Einsteins, Pasteurs or Mother Teresas I have aborted and how many women's lives have been ruined by their abortions."

Dr. Morgentaler's final statement:
"I have made a contribution to a safer and more caring society where people have a greater opportunity to realize their full potential." This statement is not translatable.

Part 1...Women's "Rights"
Part 2...When the truth isn't the truth
Part 3...Translating Dr. Henry Morgentaler
Part 4...Why late-term abortions are not inconsequential

No comments:

Post a Comment